LIVE HELPAvailable
Click to CalL
Call Now

How to Vacate a Judgment

If you discover that you have a default judgment against you, there are options for getting rid of it by having the judgment vacated. You may ask how to vacate a judgment. The process works like an appeal. Once you can vacate a judgement, it is as though it never existed. You may have a sound case that would lead a judge to vacate the default judgment – and your may not even realize it. If any of the following are true, you may have standing to file to vacate a judgment:

  • You never received the legal paperwork, such as the summons or complaint, that resulted in a default judgment
  • A default judgment was issued without a hearing
  • You requested verification of the debt, but the debt collection agency never sent you a validation notice, but then obtained a default judgment
  • The debt in question was so old that it was past the statute of limitations and therefore legally uncollectible, even though the debt collection agency obtained a default judgment
  • You had a good reason for not responding to the summons or complaint, but a default judgment was entered anyway

Once you vacate a judgement, you can provide proof to credit reporting agencies, which are obligated to remove the default judgment from your credit reports.

Lemberg & Associates’ team
of consumer attorneys is highly
skilled and ready to help you
with debt collector abuse.

If you have been the victim of harassment or illegal or unfair debt collection practices, Lemberg & Associates will discuss your options with you and protect your rights. For more information, contact Lemberg & Associates today at .

Learn More About Us 
Start Free Legal Consultation
Fill out form:
Please wait...
Your information is kept 100% confidential.
We do not spam or sell your information.
Find out how we can
help you stop debt
collector harassment
Get Free Legal Help 

"The FDCPA is a consumer protection statute and was intended to permit, even encourage, attorneys like Lemberg to act as private attorney generals to pursue FDCPA claims."

U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, Evon v. Law Offices of Sidney Mickell
Follow Us on Twitter